Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Laundry Room Brick Floor

Here is a picture of the work in progress.


The laundry room is an earthbag room about 90 SF (12' X 10' oustide edge to edge), and was originally built with an earthen floor.  Well, while we were out of town shortly after the room was finished, a PVC pipe joint broke and lots of water poured onto the floor, and it swelled and buckled and heaved and cracked and generally was rendered unusable.  About a month ago I started digging it out bit by bit and replacing it with a brick floor, seen here.

The bricks are heavy pavers, the kind used on city streets.  I began by smoothing a sand bed where the bricks would go, then lined them out in a pattern with about 1/2" joints, and tried my darndest to level them in a row across the room.  The result has been a very rustic, if not exaclty level, floor.  I've laid another course since this picture was taken, so the floor is easily half finished.  I'll have to snap some photos of the walls, especially the north wall, which was partially destroyed by the leak, and which I am in the process of re-plastering.

No comments:

Post a Comment